Dropdown type of question is a closed-ended question that provides the respondent with a pick list of various possible answer options for the question. Respondents can only select one answer from the Dropdown question.
When to use a Dropdown Question?
The Dropdown question can be used for respondents to choose a single option from a long list of options. Ideally if you have only 2-4 options, you shouldn’t use the Dropdown question. Dropdown questions can be used in questions like ‘What country do you live in?’, ‘Which department do you belong to?’ and so on.
How to add the Dropdown Question in your Survey in Zonka Feedback?
To add the Dropdown question to your Survey, follow these steps.
- Go to the Survey you’d like to add the Dropdown question to.
- Click on General Questions from the Questions box on the left side.
- Select Dropdown from the General Questions list and immediately the Dropdown question will be added to your survey and appear in the WYSIWYG preview on your screen in the middle.
- On the right side of the preview screen, you will see an Edit box to customize the Dropdown question.
Customizing the Dropdown Question in your Survey
After you have added the Dropdown question in your survey form, hover over the question and click the edit icon to edit the question. A customization window will get opened on the right side of the survey builder wherein you can move forward with the further question customizations.
The following customizations can be made to your Dropdown Question.
In Edit, you can customize the following.
- Question: Here you can edit the Question for the Dropdown.
- Placeholder Text: You can add a text for the Dropdown box to display on default
- Required: Using this toggle, you can define whether this question is Mandatory (Required) for completion of the survey or not.
In Choices, you can add all the Answer Options for the Dropdown. You can also add and remove the answer options for the Dropdown using (+) and (X) icons.
- Variable ID: Variable ID is a unique ID that can be assigned to the Dropdown question. This is used for passing pre-filled data, via Web Links, Email Surveys, SMS Surveys and in APIs.
- Hide Field if data is passed: Using this toggle, you can define whether the Dropdown field should be hidden if the Data is passed using Variable ID in Web Links, Email Surveys, SMS Surveys and in APIs.
Tip: Even though the Dropdown question is meant for long lists, try and limit those to only required answers as a long list may cause Survey Fatigue to your respondents.